Patient Education >
Headache - from Pain to Panic
- Headache - from Pain to Panic
Head ache is a common symptom both in children and adults. Accounting for missing school/ job, disturbing daily routine and causing great misery sometimes.
The two important varieties are:-
1. Primary headaches (80%) Benign but chronic recurrent and disturbing
• Migraine and migraine variants
• Tension type headaches
• Cluster headaches
- Regular Diet, Sleep & exercises
- Avoid precipitating factors.
- Relaxation and stress management.
- Quit smoke, avoid harmones
- Prophylactic medication.
- Drugs for acute attack.
2. Secondary headaches (10-20%)
These are because of serious underlying diseases and need to be diagnosed by CT scan/MRI scan/ MRA/MRV/CSF analysis as required for early management.
When to see a Doctor and get investigated
• Sudden , severe , “ thunderclap” headache
• A headache occurs with a stiff neck, fever, vomiting, drowsiness, confusion, Paralysis, slurred speech and blurring of vision.
• You have headaches that wake you up at night.
• The headaches are occurring daily or are becoming worse.
• The headaches occur after physical exercise, sexual activity, coughing, or sneezing.
LALITHA Super Speciality Hospital © 2009. All Rights Reserved.