Every year October 29th is observed as World Stroke Day. Every year a new message is given.
The theme of this year's World Stroke Day on 29th October is "What can I do?". As the World Stroke Organization says, everyone can do something: Learn to recognize symptoms and take action, learn to recognize the risk factors and take action.
On the eve of world stroke day, a series of stroke awareness programs are started, on behalf of the first stroke center in A.P - Ankineedu Stroke Unit of Lalitha Super Specialities hospital, Guntur under guidance of Dr. P.Vijaya M.D.,D.M Neurologist.
1. From 23rd- 29th Oct 2009, “Stroke Awareness week” was conducted by Ankineedu Stroke Unit of Lalitha Super Specialities Hospital, Guntur, A.P.
2. A stroke helpline 9440808624 and stroke help desk is maintained in the premises of LSSH with the services of Physician, Physiotherapist, Dietician and Social workers.
3. Every aspect of stroke is explained and discussed with Pamphlets in English as well as the native language.
Day 1 Oct-23rd : What is Stroke? What can do to you?
Day 2 Oct-24th : Stroke symptoms and TIA.
Day 3 Oct-25th : Stroke in Women and Young people
Day 4 Oct-26th : Risk factors of Stroke.
Day 5 Oct-27th : How to prevent Stroke?
Day 6 Oct-28th : Stroke- Modern management
Day 7 Oct-29th : Stroke- “What can I do?”
4. Free B.P check up and stroke risk score assessment done by the stroke volunteers and advice given for primary prevention of stroke.
5. Asymptomatic people with high stroke risk score got investigated and some of them had silent strokes started in specific treatment.
6. For patients who already suffered stroke were given free consultation by neurologist and advice regarding secondary prophylaxis and rehabilitation.
7. 850 people were screened directly in one week period. Lakhs of people got the information through news paper as well as local TV network.
8. Interviews given and Press note released in the local as well as National news papers.
9. Hoardings and pamphlets explaining about thrombolytic therapy in important places of the town.
10. “FAST” test for early recognition of stroke symptoms was explained by pictorial pamphlets as well as video clips.
11. Siticable (Local TV network covering 10 lakhs population) - Audio visual live Programmes broadcasted from Oct 25th to 29th daily covering each aspect of stroke. Experiences of stroke survivors and on the 29th the World Stroke Day message was explained.
• What happens in a stroke? Oct 25th youtube
• Stroke symptoms and TIA – Oct 26th youtube
• Who will get the stroke – Prevention Oct 27th Youtube
• Stroke – Latest investigations and management. Oct 28th Youtube
• Interviews with stroke patients. Oct 29th Part 1 :Youtube
Part -2 Youtube
Examples of different types of strokes selected. For eg Young stroke, Venous Stroke, Recc. Stroke (because of stopping Rx), Person who received IV thrombolytic and recovered normalcy, person who presented late and suffered with severe stroke, one patient who received Intra arterial thrombolysis and patient with TIA.